Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why do religious people present their faith as fact?

Many religious people say that they dont need evidence to support their beliefs because they have absolute faith in God/the Bible. The word "faith" is defined as: "Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence." That being said, how is it that 'believers' can claim to be absolutely, 110 percent, beyond a shadow of a doubt, certain about what they believe? I find this to be a huge flaw in theism. Simply by the definition of the word faith, people who accept their beliefs without any proof MUST also accept that there is a possibility that they could be wrong. No matter how tiny that possibility may seem to 'believers', it is always there and it cannot be refuted. Every single religious faith; be it Christian, Muslim, Jew or any other contains the same possibility of being wrong. So what makes one faith more right than the other without facts or proof? I'll use an ogy. Using a deck of playing cards, I make you a wager that drawing one card at random, I would pick any other card except for the 2 of Hearts. "If I'm right," I say to you, "then you owe me a dollar. But if Im wrong, then I'll give you $1000". Of course you say you would take that bet. And I reply, "Why would you? The odds arent in your favor. Just give me your dollar now because I know Im not going to draw the 2 of Hearts". But you respond, "How do you know? That card is in the deck and you could just as likely draw it." I smugly respond, "But I wont". You counter, "But you COULD". Again I claim, "But I WONT. Im absolutely sure of it. So strong is my faith and that Im willing to bet a large sum of money on it." I draw a card from the deck, and sure enough.....its the 2 of Hearts and Im $1000 poorer. My blunder was in denying the possibility that I could be wrong, no matter how unlikely it may have seemed. My point being, there is no such thing as absolute certainty in faith because the possibility of an alternate explanation is and will always be there. It is the very definition of the word "faith". I believe Einstein was quoted as saying, "Facts do not cease to be facts simply because people choose to ignore them". And for those people who say, "Well, I DO accept the possibility that I could be wrong in my faith, but I choose to believe it anyway, because I want to be saved". My question to them is, do you TRULY have faith? or is it simply fear of repercussion? Fear of the unknown? Better safe than sorry? If you seriously believe that such a faith is going to save you, why would you choose to worship a God that would accept that kind of pseudo-devotion in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment